The Rooming House Program is a program to provide long-term low-cost accommodation, funded through the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Housing and Community Building and administered by community housing groups. Accommodation is available to single people and couples without children who satisfy the Office's public housing eligibility criteria. To find out which community housing groups administer rooming houses, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services, Housing.

The Department of Health and Human Services, Housing is working with Consumer Affairs Victoria to regulate and improve conditions in Victorias private rooming house market and to create more not-for-profit rooming house accommodation. Residents of a rooming or boarding house have an individual agreement with their rooming house owner/manager and only have exclusive possession to their room with a right to shared access to communal facilities, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and living areas. Rooming houses must be registered with the local council.


Some clients on low incomes may be eligible for other forms of accommodation and housing assistance from various Office of Housing Schemes.